West Side Stories
A Blog Series about the History of Salt Lake's West Side
Image 1: Pioneer Park Neighborhood Boundaries, pre-1971 Street Number, circa 1958
In 1973, Salt Lake City changed the names of its of its North and West Streets. Initially, street numbers increased or decreased beginning with the the city's meridian, or Temple Square. However, Main Street, which was originally called East Temple, along with North and West Temple did not align with the other street numbers along the grid system. In 1972-1973 West Temple became 100 West and the original 100 West street became 200 West. By making this change all of the street numbers and individual addresses matched.
This aerial photograph was taken prior to the construction of Interstate-15, the Salt Palace (now the Calvin L. Rampton Salt Palace Convention Center,) and the Vivint Smart Home Arena.
Image 2: Union Station used for the Oregon Short Line Railroad and the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake Railroad, both subsidiaries of Union Pacific, 400 West and South Temple, Salt Lake City, November
1910; Shipler Commercial Photography, Utah State Historical Society.
Image 3: The Denver and Rio Grande Railway Station, 300 S. Rio Grande Street, Salt Lake City, August 18, 1910
Image 9: Fort on the Great Salt Lake; rendered by Kirk Henrichsen, circa 1995; used with permission of the artist.
Image 10: Map showing the location and context for Salt Lake City’s first cemetery (near 300 South and 200 West), Office of Public Archeology, Brigham Young University, from "At Rest in Zion, The Archaeology of Salt Lake City’s First Pioneer Cemetery," Occasional Paper #14, 2011.
Image 11: Salt Lake City's Hall of Relics, Utah’s Pioneer Jubilee (1847-1897), circa 1897-1898; corner of South Temple and Main Street; Salt Lake Tribune Collection, Utah State Historical Society.
Image 12: Milton R. Hunter (center), flanked by Mr. Morgan and Mr. Giles, points to the newly reinstalled Pioneer Fort monument (a bronze plaque, No. 23 erected originally in 1933); December 26, 1953; Salt Lake Tribune, Utah State Historical Society.
Hunter, a Ph.D. in History from UC Berkeley, was a longtime LDS Church Education employee and popular Utah history author, two of his books including "Brigham Young the Colonizer" (1940) and the "1847-1947 Utah Centennial History: The Story of Her People." Although academically trained as a historian, Hunter was a proud Utahn and an unfailing defender of his church. Unfortunately, Hunter's writings about Utah’s Native Americans were often belittling and dismissive. In his official centennial history he made no mention of Utah’s non-Mormon immigrants from central and eastern Europe, or from Asia, Mexico or any other non-Mormon multi-generational citizens of color.
Image 13: One of Salt Lake City’s oldest and newest buildings, circa 1965; Hal Rumel, photographer; Utah State Historical Society.
Image 14: Utah Central Railway’s (Ogden to Salt Lake City) “last spike” ceremony held behind and north of the present Union Pacific Depot), Salt Lake City, January 10, 1870; photographer unknown, International Society of Daughters of Utah Pioneers. This image was identified as the UCRR “last spike” ceremony by photographic historian Ronald Fox.
Image 15: Dr. John A. Widtsoe stands at a marker commemorating the spot were Gold Was discovered in 1848, May 13, 1940. Courtsey of the Utah State Historical Society.
Image 16: A sketch of Sutter's Mill located in Caloma, California.
Courtsey of the Utah State Historical Society.
Image 17: Utah Central Railway locomotive #10 and roundhouse, Salt Lake City, circa 1880; F. I. Monsen & Co., photographer, Utah State Historical Society.
Image 18: Utah Central Railway (U.C.Ry) locomotive and workers; circa 1881; photographer probably Charles R. Savage; Utah State Historical Society.
Image 20: 400 West, looking north to North Temple and beyond, circa 1907-1909; with train and trolley tracks nearly covering the street; Utah State Historical Society.
Two Chinese men (possibly Messrs. Lóu Wau and Lóu Wú), studio portrait, Salt Lake City, Utah Territory, circa 1870s; Charles W. Carter photographer; Courtesy of the Church History Department, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Image 64: "Utah Plain Dealer" newspaper, Salt Lake City, Utah; January 9, 1897; Courtesy of the Church History Library, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Image 73: Parade float of Societa di Cristoro, Salt Lake City, July 24th Pioneer Day Parade, 1924; photographer unknown, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah.
Image 82: The following five photos are snap shots of Salt Lake City’s West side markets, bakery, markets and cafes, circa 1930-1940; Tax Assessor Records 1-1198, 1-1739, 1-2968-71, 1-2928 and 1-1752, Salt Lake County Archives.
Image 84: The Step Inn located on the edge of an apartment complex at 200 West 23 North (just off of South Temple (photo #3).
Image 85: Guy’s Mexica Chili and Short Order on 66 North 400 West (photo #4).